Older woman conned by St Albans payphone scammer
- Credit: Archant
St Albans residents are being warned of scammers in the area.
An elderly woman was tricked out of money on Thursday, September 26 in St Albans city near Waddington Road.
The suspected man is of Middle Eastern appearance, between 30 and 40 years old, smartly dressed and speaks both Arabic & French.
He approached the victim saying he could not make a phone call at a nearby telephone box as his credit card was refused. He persuaded the woman to insert her debit card into the phone and enter her PIN number.
The man managed to clone details from the card and withdraw £2000 from her account.
You may also want to watch:
Please be aware of this scam and report it to police immediately if you are approached.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival