Older woman conned by St Albans payphone scammer
- Credit: Archant
St Albans residents are being warned of scammers in the area.
An elderly woman was tricked out of money on Thursday, September 26 in St Albans city near Waddington Road.
The suspected man is of Middle Eastern appearance, between 30 and 40 years old, smartly dressed and speaks both Arabic & French.
He approached the victim saying he could not make a phone call at a nearby telephone box as his credit card was refused. He persuaded the woman to insert her debit card into the phone and enter her PIN number.
The man managed to clone details from the card and withdraw £2000 from her account.
You may also want to watch:
Please be aware of this scam and report it to police immediately if you are approached.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 New vicar comes to Harpenden church