Herts police press officer feeling positive about Marathon run
POLICE press and publicity officer Simon Feldman will be swapping his PC for running shoes when he takes part in the New York Marathon on Sunday. Simon, 25, who lives in St Albans and works for Herts Police, is taking part in the 26.2 mile run to raise mo
POLICE press and publicity officer Simon Feldman will be swapping his PC for running shoes when he takes part in the New York Marathon on Sunday.
Simon, 25, who lives in St Albans and works for Herts Police, is taking part in the 26.2 mile run to raise money for men's cancer charity Orchid.
He has twice been diagnosed with cancer, once in 2004 and again in 2008, and admits that he is running the marathon to help turn his experiences of the illness into something positive.
Simon said: "It's been a tough time having to deal with hospital visits, treatment and the stress of living with the illness but I am determined to get on with my life and not let it beat me."
You may also want to watch:
A first-time marathon runner, Simon has been training for the event since the beginning of the year, just two months after recovering from his second diagnosis and treatment.
He added: "I've decided to run for Orchid as it's the charity my consultant set up to fight male cancer; prostate, penile and testicular. After being treated twice by the team behind Orchid, I felt like it was time to give something back by raising valuable funds for them so they can further their research.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
"I'm really hoping as many people as possible can help me with my challenge by sponsoring me and letting me do something for the charity that has done so much for me."
Simon can be sponsored at www.bmycharity.com/ simonfeldman and more information about how Orchid is taking on male cancer can be found at http://www.orchid-cancer.org.uk