Herts NHS wins Fit for Business award
NHS Hertfordshire has been officially recognised for its commitment to improving staff health and wellbeing. The national Fit For Business award is given to organisations who can demonstrate that they are supporting staff to keep healthy. Since May
NHS Hertfordshire has been officially recognised for its commitment to improving staff health and wellbeing.
The national 'Fit For Business' award is given to organisations who can demonstrate that they are supporting staff to keep healthy.
Since May 2008, NHS Hertfordshire has been encouraging employees to take part in activities to improve their health and wellbeing, including:
* A month-long 'pedometer challenge', during which 600 staff walked a total of more than 35,000 miles (an average of 55 miles per person), including winning team the Power Walkers (pictured);
You may also want to watch:
* Salsa, pilates and other exercise classes at lunchtime;
* Holding 'fruity Fridays' where staff were given fruit and could give a donation to charity..
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 7 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
All activities were co-ordinated by our workplace champions - staff volunteers who lead the programme, helped organise events and motivate their colleagues. The PCTs' programme of staff wellbeing activities gained them 815 points under the scheme, almost twice as many as needed to qualify.
Gloria Barber, Director of HR said: "I am delighted that we have been awarded this accolade and look forward to another successful year of helping our staff keep fit and healthy in body and mind. We really value the wellbeing of our staff, as keeping them in top shape helps us to deliver excellent patient care for our residents and be more productive.