Herts NHS wins Fit for Business award
NHS Hertfordshire has been officially recognised for its commitment to improving staff health and wellbeing. The national Fit For Business award is given to organisations who can demonstrate that they are supporting staff to keep healthy. Since May
NHS Hertfordshire has been officially recognised for its commitment to improving staff health and wellbeing.
The national 'Fit For Business' award is given to organisations who can demonstrate that they are supporting staff to keep healthy.
Since May 2008, NHS Hertfordshire has been encouraging employees to take part in activities to improve their health and wellbeing, including:
* A month-long 'pedometer challenge', during which 600 staff walked a total of more than 35,000 miles (an average of 55 miles per person), including winning team the Power Walkers (pictured);
You may also want to watch:
* Salsa, pilates and other exercise classes at lunchtime;
* Holding 'fruity Fridays' where staff were given fruit and could give a donation to charity..
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
All activities were co-ordinated by our workplace champions - staff volunteers who lead the programme, helped organise events and motivate their colleagues. The PCTs' programme of staff wellbeing activities gained them 815 points under the scheme, almost twice as many as needed to qualify.
Gloria Barber, Director of HR said: "I am delighted that we have been awarded this accolade and look forward to another successful year of helping our staff keep fit and healthy in body and mind. We really value the wellbeing of our staff, as keeping them in top shape helps us to deliver excellent patient care for our residents and be more productive.