Herts NHS wins Fit for Business award
NHS Hertfordshire has been officially recognised for its commitment to improving staff health and wellbeing. The national Fit For Business award is given to organisations who can demonstrate that they are supporting staff to keep healthy. Since May
NHS Hertfordshire has been officially recognised for its commitment to improving staff health and wellbeing.
The national 'Fit For Business' award is given to organisations who can demonstrate that they are supporting staff to keep healthy.
Since May 2008, NHS Hertfordshire has been encouraging employees to take part in activities to improve their health and wellbeing, including:
* A month-long 'pedometer challenge', during which 600 staff walked a total of more than 35,000 miles (an average of 55 miles per person), including winning team the Power Walkers (pictured);
* Salsa, pilates and other exercise classes at lunchtime;
* Holding 'fruity Fridays' where staff were given fruit and could give a donation to charity..
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 5 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 6 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
All activities were co-ordinated by our workplace champions - staff volunteers who lead the programme, helped organise events and motivate their colleagues. The PCTs' programme of staff wellbeing activities gained them 815 points under the scheme, almost twice as many as needed to qualify.
Gloria Barber, Director of HR said: "I am delighted that we have been awarded this accolade and look forward to another successful year of helping our staff keep fit and healthy in body and mind. We really value the wellbeing of our staff, as keeping them in top shape helps us to deliver excellent patient care for our residents and be more productive.