Herts Advertiser 10 years gone by: Arsenal star Theo Walcott’s driving test makes front page
- Credit: Archant
Football ‘wonder kid’ Theo Walcott made front page of the Herts Advertiser ten years ago, when he passed his driving test at the first attempt.
The September 21, 2006, edition, said the “young England international who plays for Arsenal was given the all-clear to tear up his L-plates after completing a driving circuit close to the Gunners’ London Colney training ground”.
He was under the supervision of AA driving school instructor Dave Tingey, based in St Albans.
Also, Harpenden Memorial Hospital had emerged badly from a Governmnent survey on cleanliness and hygiene, as it was one of two community hospitals to be branded as having unacceptable standards.
Meanwhile, slow drivers were criciticised in a letter to the editor, with Peter Gardner saying he was “fed up” with drivers on the A1081 between Harpenden and St Albans “who seem unable to get above 40mph on the 60mph section but are happy to carry on doing 40mph in the 40 and 30mph sections at either end.”
You may also want to watch:
The British Transport Police recovered hundreds of stolen car badges, taken from vehicles parked at St Albans City Station car park.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall