Herts Ad Comment: Do the right thing and own up...
- Credit: Archant
The scenes of wanton vandalism at Westfield Road Cemetery go beyond youthful hijinks - they were the deliberate desecration of the last resting places of nine local residents.
What would motivate anyone to kick over these memorials? Because this isn’t just a case of a few vases being smashed, it’s destruction on a grand scale which obviously took a concerted effort by those responsible.
We’ve reported in the past of thefts from gravestones or the odd bit of graffiti, but it’s hard to remember vandalism on this scale in recent years.
Stepping up police patrols in the area after the fact is all very well, but those responsible need to be made to pay for their crimes, and we would urge anyone with information to come forward.
The same applies to the terrible tragedy in Camp Road last week, in which great-grandmother Barbara Liddle was knocked down and killed by a hit-and-run driver.
You may also want to watch:
Surely someone out there knows who was behind this senseless act? Maybe a friend, work colleague or family member has been acting strangely since the incident, and put their car in for emergency repairs the following day.
No matter how tempting it is to stay silent, imagine how you would feel if you were grieving for a loved one killed in this way, and then think about doing the right thing.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
Because unfortunately without further information on both of these crimes the police may not get the results we deserve, and those responsible will not be brought to justice.