Across the St Albans district, runners join in virtual Herts 10K and Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Runners battled wet conditions as they took on the Herts Virtual 10K and Half Marathon to fundraise for Rennie Grove Hospice Care.
Participants were encouraged to join a virtual YouTube warm-up session on the Sunday morning with a personal trainer from Everyone Active which was followed by a virtual countdown to make it feel as much like race day as possible. Runners shared their personal experiences by posting pictures on social media throughout the day.
Those unable to join at this time were able to complete their chosen distance over the following week. All runners were asked to follow their own route and to submit their time digitally to a leader board.
Held annually in Harpenden for the last 15 years, this year’s event included the unique option of a half marathon to mark this milestone, but no one anticipated that the whole event would have to be virtual.
The winners of the men’s and women’s virtual trophies for the half marathon were Ran Shribman and Rachel Everard. In the 10K, the men’s winner was James Nelson and coming in first for the women was Justine Anderson. In the junior division, Olivia Rust was the fastest girl and Euan Turner took first place for the boys.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the weather, feedback from runners was positive.
“Wet and windy, but for a very good cause!” said Kerry Morgans on Twitter.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
“Soggy Herts Virtual 10K and Half Marathon with friends, but we wouldn’t have missed it!” said Emmanuelle Bentley-Sanders on Facebook.
“Finished, absolutely soaked but worth it,” said Mary Louise on Instagram.
Herts 10K corporate sponsors, Harpenden-based Plowman Craven put together a team of 39 runners, while long-serving sponsor PB Donoghue and founding sponsor Levy Associates also supported the event.
Amy Chambers, head of fundraising development at Rennie Grove said: “We would like to thank everyone involved in the Herts 10K and Half Marathon. The support of our sponsors and those who took part has made it possible to raise over £43,000. This means Rennie Grove nurses can continue to care for patients now and in the future, which has never been more important than during these challenging times.”