Alexander The Grit named the Herts Advertiser gritter
- Credit: Photo supplied
The people have spoken. After seeing off the challenge from Grita Thunberg and Arnold Salt-spread-gritter, the Herts Advertiser can today announce that Alexander The Grit will be etched on to the side of our gritter in 2020.
Back in November, the Herts Advertiser announced a new competition giving our readers the chance to name a new gritter on behalf of Hertfordshire County Council.
After a well-fought, spirited process - which some have said has restored their faith in democracy - Alexander The Grit emerged last week as the public favourite.
Many congratulations to Leann Smith for submitting the winning entry.
Keep your eyes peeled and be sure to say hello if you see Xander on your way!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Shortages crisis hits district
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 9 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book