Alexander The Grit named the Herts Advertiser gritter
- Credit: Photo supplied
The people have spoken. After seeing off the challenge from Grita Thunberg and Arnold Salt-spread-gritter, the Herts Advertiser can today announce that Alexander The Grit will be etched on to the side of our gritter in 2020.
Back in November, the Herts Advertiser announced a new competition giving our readers the chance to name a new gritter on behalf of Hertfordshire County Council.
After a well-fought, spirited process - which some have said has restored their faith in democracy - Alexander The Grit emerged last week as the public favourite.
Many congratulations to Leann Smith for submitting the winning entry.
Keep your eyes peeled and be sure to say hello if you see Xander on your way!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues