Hectic 100th birthday for farmer's daughter
A FARMER S widow who has lived in the same farmhouse for nearly 80 years has just celebrated her 100th birthday. Kate Burrows of Sandrigebury Farm shared her birthday cake with four other generations of her family at her party. Kate, a farmer s daughter,
A FARMER'S widow who has lived in the same farmhouse for nearly 80 years has just celebrated her 100th birthday.
Kate Burrows of Sandrigebury Farm shared her birthday cake with four other generations of her family at her party.
Kate, a farmer's daughter, first moved to St Albans as a newlywed in 1929, one year after her husband Ernest brought Sandridgebury Farm. The pair started up a dairy farm business together and Kate has kept the farm in business every since her husband died 50 years ago.
Kate, who lives at the farm with her son David and his family, said that she had a wonderful day and added: "I saw so many of my friends and family and we all enjoyed the fabulous fruit cake that one of my friends made me. It was quite exhausting though - I feel 101 years old today!"
You may also want to watch:
Kate's daughter-in-law Margaret Burrows said that it was a hectic day: "It seemed like hundreds came to wish Kate happy birthday. I don't think we could have fitted any more guests in the house. The family's glad that she can still celebrate in style."
Kate's grandson Jamie Burrows, aged 26, decided earlier this year to take over the running of the farm and Kate said that she couldn't be happier: "I promised Ernest that I'd keep Sandridgebury Farm in the family just before he died, so I think he'd be very proud.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images