Heated hair straighteners cause fire alert

PUBLISHED: 15:30 28 October 2008 | UPDATED: 13:43 06 May 2010

FIREFIGHTERS had to break into a house to switch off a set of heated hair straighteners which had been left on the carpet. The occupier of the property in Harpenden was more than an hour away from home when they called the firefighters with concerns that

FIREFIGHTERS had to break into a house to switch off a set of heated hair straighteners which had been left on the carpet.

The occupier of the property in Harpenden was more than an hour away from home when they called the firefighters with concerns that the straighteners might cause a blaze.

Firefighters from St Albans dashed to the property in Douglas Road and broke into the house to switch off the heated appliance.

Tony Morrison, the St Albans fire station commander, said: "If you own hair straighteners, please remember that they are a potential fire hazard and you need to take extra care when using and storing them. Only place hair straighteners on a heat resistant surface, ideally a heat proof mat or tray; switch off the straighteners and unplug them from the mains when you have finished using them and allow them to cool down completely before leaving them."

He reminded people that they could take advantage of a free home fire safety check in which firefighters provided fire advice and fitted free smoke alarms where needed.

All safety checks are carried out by uniformed personnel who will show an official ID card and always use an agreed password.

Anyone interested in the service should call 0800 5873347 to arrange an appointment.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists