Heart-warming tale as St Albans couple get engaged on Jamie Theakston show
LOVE was on the airwaves when a St Albans couple got engaged live on the radio. Alex Mercer, aged 29, proposed to his girlfriend Kelly Harvey, aged 33, in front of thousands of Heart 106.2 radio listeners on Friday morning after winning the radio station
LOVE was on the airwaves when a St Albans couple got engaged live on the radio.
Alex Mercer, aged 29, proposed to his girlfriend Kelly Harvey, aged 33, in front of thousands of Heart 106.2 radio listeners on Friday morning after winning the radio station's Valentine competition.
Alex, whose prize was a �9,000 engagement ring, popped the question during Jamie Theakston's Breakfast Show and after Kelly had said yes, the bride-to-be was taken to the London studio where Alex sealed the engagement with the platinum ring.
Said Alex, who lives in Marshalswick with his new fianc�e: "We've been together for 12 years and it was time to do the right thing by asking Kelly to marry me. The Heart 106.2 competition seemed like the perfect opportunity and I'm so relieved she said yes - I'd have never lived it down if I had been rejected on the radio."
Jamie, who was sitting next to Alex when he proposed, said that it was a nerve-wracking experience for everyone at the studio and added: "Bearing in mind the dangers inherent in proposing on the radio, I thought it went remarkably well. Alex was very nervous so no-one was more relieved than me when Kelly said yes."
Alex, a freelance designer who works in London, met Kelly through her brother who was in the same year as him at Beaumont School. The pair moved into their St Albans home together last spring after having lived in Dubai for five years.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 4 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 5 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 6 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
- 9 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
Alex said that Kelly was delighted with her sapphire and diamond ring and added: "Kelly and I are just letting the engagement sink in at the moment and we opted for a cosy night in on Valentine's Day to make up for the very hectic Friday. We haven't planned a date yet, but I'd like to marry Kelly sooner rather than later."
Jamie, who presented the couple with flowers and chocolates before they left the studio, said that he was happy to have helped and added: "The Heart 106.2 breakfast team is thrilled for Alex and Kelly and I wish them every happiness for their future together.