Head tells parents why his school closed on three days this week
PARENTS of children at a secondary school received an email today from its head teacher explaining why it was shut for the third day this week. Norman Hoare, head of St George s School in Harpenden, took the unusual step of emailing parents of the 1,250
PARENTS of children at a secondary school received an email today from its head teacher explaining why it was shut for the third day this week.
Norman Hoare, head of St George's School in Harpenden, took the unusual step of emailing parents of the 1,250 pupils at the school to explain the closure and thank them for their forbearance and understanding during this week's bad weather.
He explained that there were several reasons why the school in Sun Lane had closed, one of which was that many of the students came from beyond safe walking distance and were reliant on public transport or parents driving them in.
The same applied to both teaching and support staff, most of who lived outside Harpenden. He said that this morning (Thursday) teachers who attempted to come in took up to two hours to make it to the school or were forced to turn back because of impassable roads or jams.
Mr Hoare also pointed out that St George's was a large outdoor site which only had a very small site management team and it would not have been easy to make it safe for students.
He added: "We do not take lightly the inconvenience to parents of a school closure and try to make the decision as early as possible."
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 8 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 9 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 10 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
Many schools in the St Albans district have been closed again today because of the snowy weather.