Head pays tribute to St Albans meninigitis boy
A TEENAGER from St Albans who died from Meningitis this week has been named as Liam Woods. It has been confirmed that 14-year-old Liam, a pupil at Beaumont Secondary School, died from meningococcal (bacterial) meningitis on Tuesday night. Liam s death was
A TEENAGER from St Albans who died from Meningitis this week has been named as Liam Woods.
It has been confirmed that 14-year-old Liam, a pupil at Beaumont Secondary School, died from meningococcal (bacterial) meningitis on Tuesday night.
Liam's death was announced in school on Remembrance Day, when head teacher Mrs Hitch led an extended period of silence to give the whole school time to remember him quietly.
Liam, who joined the school a year ago, was a keen flute player and Mrs Hitch said that he will forever be remembered for his "lovely smile".
You may also want to watch:
She added: "The school community is shocked and upset and specialist counsellors are here to offer their advice and support. We have met Liam's family to offer our condolences and a book of students' memories is being put together for them."
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) is treating Liam's death as an isolated case and has confirmed that the school and social contacts are unlikely to be affected. All Beaumont school parents have received an advice letter about the symptoms of meningitis, on the advice of the HPA.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 6 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets