Head pays tribute to St Albans meninigitis boy
A TEENAGER from St Albans who died from Meningitis this week has been named as Liam Woods. It has been confirmed that 14-year-old Liam, a pupil at Beaumont Secondary School, died from meningococcal (bacterial) meningitis on Tuesday night. Liam s death was
A TEENAGER from St Albans who died from Meningitis this week has been named as Liam Woods.
It has been confirmed that 14-year-old Liam, a pupil at Beaumont Secondary School, died from meningococcal (bacterial) meningitis on Tuesday night.
Liam's death was announced in school on Remembrance Day, when head teacher Mrs Hitch led an extended period of silence to give the whole school time to remember him quietly.
Liam, who joined the school a year ago, was a keen flute player and Mrs Hitch said that he will forever be remembered for his "lovely smile".
She added: "The school community is shocked and upset and specialist counsellors are here to offer their advice and support. We have met Liam's family to offer our condolences and a book of students' memories is being put together for them."
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) is treating Liam's death as an isolated case and has confirmed that the school and social contacts are unlikely to be affected. All Beaumont school parents have received an advice letter about the symptoms of meningitis, on the advice of the HPA.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time