Harpenden woman reaches ‘Knickers Models Own’ fundraising target after year of wearing charity shop clothes
- Credit: Archant
A woman who has been sporting charity shop clothes every day this year to raise money in memory of her mother has exceeded her fundraising target 11 days early.
Caroline Jones, 47, of Harpenden, started her ‘Knickers Model Own’ campaign in January as a tribute to her late mother, Mary Benson, and to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
The frugal fashionista publishes her ‘pre-loved’ outfits to her social media platforms every day and has now exceeded her £36,500 target- £100 for every day.
The mum of three has developed a strong social media following, racking up more than 10,000 ‘likes’ on Facebook.
On Thursday (10) she posted: “Late last night my JustGiving page read “Congratulations you’ve hit your target’ so I looked and sure enough there it was, £36,500.60.
“I double checked again this morning, just to be on the safe side and yep, still there and rising. This is a very happy day for me, the target felt hugely ambitious but we’ve done it and this money continues the pioneering work at Cancer Research UK, in the fight against cancer.”
You may also want to watch:
She originally hoped to raise £1,000 across the year, and managed to achieve this in the first three weeks of her campaign.
After the fundraiser went global, the target was increased to the £36,500, to be achieved by December 31. The current total now stands at more than £38,500.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 6 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 7 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 8 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 9 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 10 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
Caroline also used her post to announce a surprise: “So, with the air filled with happiness, I am excited to announce that I have started work on my book, telling the story of my fundraising year, with all the proceeds going to Cancer Research UK.”
To donate to the cause click here.