Harpenden supermarket selects air ambulance as charity of the year
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers at a Harpenden supermarket have voted the Herts Air Ambulance as their charity of the year.
Sainsbury’s customers in the town have opted for the air ambulance to be their beneficiary under the national Local Charity scheme which gives stores the power to fundraise for good causes.
Jason Merrett, manager of the Harpenden store, said: “Congratulations to Herts Air Ambulance – our customers voted overwhelmingly for the local air ambulance from a shortlist of three local charities so they clearly value the dedication of the charity and the skill of its specialist team of pilots, paramedics and doctors in providing life-saving support in the county.”
Kate Oliver, who was treated by Herts Air Ambulance within minutes of a car crash in 2010, was part of the team who pitched on behalf of the charity.
She said: “I’m over the moon with this great support from Sainsbury’s staff and customers.
You may also want to watch:
“I will always be grateful to the brilliant doctor and paramedics who came to my aid that day and the pilot who flew in awful weather conditions – the more people who can support this great charity the better.”
Staff at the Harpenden store will kick off their 12 month fundraising campaign with a variety of events including a book exchange, afternoon tea and ‘Go Red’ in September where staff will be wearing red in exchange for a donation.
- 1 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 2 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 3 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 4 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 5 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 6 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 7 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 8 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 9 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 10 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council