Harpenden student bids to impress Boris Becker
- Credit: Getty Images
A HARPENDEN student will this weekend meet former World Number One professional tennis player Boris Becker when he attempts to be selected as a ball boy for an upcoming tournament.
Robert Mitchell, 15 (pictured), who attends St George’s School in Harpenden, will meet his tennis hero as he has made it through to the final of Barclays Ball Kids, an initiative to find the 30 best ball boys and girls from all over the UK to appear at the Barclays ATP World Tour finals at the O2 in November.
The German three-time Wimbledon champion will be on hand on Saturday, April 13, to offer advice to the Kimpton teenager.
Boris is also helping to pick the final squad of 30 from 100 children who have made it through to the selection, chosen from thousands of applicants across the country who took part in regional trials earlier this year.
Mark Petchey, a former coach for UK tennis star Andy Murray, will join Boris to pick the final squad.
You may also want to watch:
Robert will travel to the Northwood Health and Racquet Club near Watford to battle it out on court.
Fellow finalists have been chosen for their agility, balance and speed across the courts, along with coordination and ball skills.
- 1 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
A spokesman for the selection trial said: “If Robert ups his game even more to rise above the other talent on display then he really could be living out a dream at the end of the year by walking out on to court with the likes of Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal.”