Harpenden sixth formers racing through the night for charity
TIRELESS young fundraisers from a secondary school in Harpenden will be racing through the night in aid of their favourite charity. Around 150 Roundwood Park School sixth form students are taking part in the 24-hour Roundwood Run, a challenge organised b
TIRELESS young fundraisers from a secondary school in Harpenden will be racing through the night in aid of their favourite charity.
Around 150 Roundwood Park School sixth form students are taking part in the 24-hour Roundwood Run, a challenge organised by the school's charity and sports prefects in aid of Children in Need.
The non-stop event, which will start on Sunday morning (15) and finish the next day, will see each pupil run part of the track for 30 minutes until the group has tallied a total of 24 hours. Those students who have been allotted an early morning shift will be sleeping in the sixth form common room in preparation for their turn.
PR prefect Sarah Reeves, who is in Year 13, said that the charity run was a first for the school: "The idea was to 'do something different', because that is the motto of Children in Need. We were overwhelmed by how many people wanted to take part - we had to keep making the sign-up sheet bigger!"
You may also want to watch:
She added: "As children ourselves, we felt that Children in Need would be the best charity to support. Everyone's looking forward to the run, even those who will be doing it at goodness knows what time in the morning! The teachers have been really supportive too and it's great that they've let us use the common room overnight.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing