Harpenden school to get new bedroom block
A SCHOOL in Harpenden has been granted permission to build a new block of pupil bedrooms. St George s School on Sun Lane can currently board 118 students but the new two-storey building will provide space for at least an extra 20. The first application w
A SCHOOL in Harpenden has been granted permission to build a new block of pupil bedrooms.
St George's School on Sun Lane can currently board 118 students but the new two-storey building will provide space for at least an extra 20.
The first application was refused last October on the grounds that the building was too close to a boundary with three cottages in Fallows Green. It was considered that the block's first-floor, rear-facing bedroom windows would result in an invasion of privacy for the next-door cottagers.
But following amendments to the proposal - including replacing the rear facing windows with bay windows that only face to the side - St George's request was granted at St Albans District Council's planning committee last Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the committee Cllr John Chambers said that it was a close vote and added: "Some of the Fallows Greens residents turned up to oppose the plans but it was decided that there will be no adverse impact on neighbouring properties.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 3 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 4 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 7 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 8 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities