Harpenden school to get new bedroom block
A SCHOOL in Harpenden has been granted permission to build a new block of pupil bedrooms. St George s School on Sun Lane can currently board 118 students but the new two-storey building will provide space for at least an extra 20. The first application w
A SCHOOL in Harpenden has been granted permission to build a new block of pupil bedrooms.
St George's School on Sun Lane can currently board 118 students but the new two-storey building will provide space for at least an extra 20.
The first application was refused last October on the grounds that the building was too close to a boundary with three cottages in Fallows Green. It was considered that the block's first-floor, rear-facing bedroom windows would result in an invasion of privacy for the next-door cottagers.
But following amendments to the proposal - including replacing the rear facing windows with bay windows that only face to the side - St George's request was granted at St Albans District Council's planning committee last Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the committee Cllr John Chambers said that it was a close vote and added: "Some of the Fallows Greens residents turned up to oppose the plans but it was decided that there will be no adverse impact on neighbouring properties.
- 1 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 2 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 3 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 4 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 5 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 6 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 7 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 8 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 9 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 10 Prove you’ve had vaccine, say a third of St Albans office workers