Harpenden school to get new bedroom block
A SCHOOL in Harpenden has been granted permission to build a new block of pupil bedrooms. St George s School on Sun Lane can currently board 118 students but the new two-storey building will provide space for at least an extra 20. The first application w
A SCHOOL in Harpenden has been granted permission to build a new block of pupil bedrooms.
St George's School on Sun Lane can currently board 118 students but the new two-storey building will provide space for at least an extra 20.
The first application was refused last October on the grounds that the building was too close to a boundary with three cottages in Fallows Green. It was considered that the block's first-floor, rear-facing bedroom windows would result in an invasion of privacy for the next-door cottagers.
But following amendments to the proposal - including replacing the rear facing windows with bay windows that only face to the side - St George's request was granted at St Albans District Council's planning committee last Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the committee Cllr John Chambers said that it was a close vote and added: "Some of the Fallows Greens residents turned up to oppose the plans but it was decided that there will be no adverse impact on neighbouring properties.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant