Harpenden’s Highland Gathering draws near
- Credit: Archant
ALL things Scottish will be taking over the town next month when the annual Harpenden Lions Highland Gathering arrives in a swirl of bagpipes and kilts.
This year’s event is being held at Rothamsted Park from 10am to 5pm on Sunday, July 14, and as well as the usual attractions, there will be new ones as well.
A major charity event, it is one of the largest gatherings outside Scotland and has a strong Caledonian flavour with six pipe bands, Highland Dancing and the traditional heavy events such as tossing the caber, weight over the bar and putting the stone.
A new addition this year is Fire Artistes who will join the falconry display and dog and duck show in the arena. They will combine with other attractions including Highland Dancing and piping competitions, stalls and sideshows and children’s events.
The main beneficiaries of this year’s Highland Gathering will be Parkinson’s UK, Home-Start St Albans and Harpenden Lions Club causes including the Life Skills programme in local schools.
You may also want to watch:
Last year’s event attracted 7,000 visitors and raised £10,000 for charity. From this week, the Lions will be selling programmes door to door or they can be obtained from the designated website www.harplions.com. They can also be purchased from various shops and businesses in Harpenden, including the town council, St Albans Tourist and Information Centre and Redbourn Post Office.
Entry to the Gathering is £3 in advance or £6 on the gate with children under 16 admitted free if accompanied by an adult.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions