Harpenden’s award winning chip shop
- Credit: Archant
There was one very happy chippy in Harpenden this week after he found out his shop had scooped a top takeaway title in the National Fish and Chip Awards.
Godfrey’s, in High Street, has been named the winner for Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire in the Independent Takeaway of the Year category.
The shop will now batter it out with one other chippy in Southampton to determine the overall winner for central and south England who will then be in with a chance of bagging the ultimate national title.
Godfrey’s, which has been dubbed the Waitrose of the fish and chip world, was opened in November by Luke Godfrey after he decided it was time for a career change.
The 35-year-old said: “Monday was so busy when the news came in but it is amazing considering we have only been open 10 months and it is really the start of things.
You may also want to watch:
“I am excited about what we are going to be able to do in the next few years.”
In the coming weeks an industry judge will make an unannounced visit to the shop to inspect the premises and practices and taste the products.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 7 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 10 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
Luke said he feels confident his business should come up trumps in the next stage, adding: “Where I think we are strong is I have a genuine passion for what we are doing. I have not been in this businesses for that long and I am still finding everything exciting.
“We keep it simple, we are all about the fish and chips and all I want to do is serve the best fish and chips I can.”
The annual National Fish & Chip Awards recognise the quality and choice offered by fish and chip businesses across the UK and rewards those with the highest standards in the fish frying industry.