Harpenden recycling centre gears up for Christmas fair
MORE than �25,000 has been raised by a recycling centre in Harpenden for the Sue Ryder charity within its first year.
And to celebrate their success Harpenden ReUse Centre, based in Dark Lane, is holding a Christmas fair on Thursday, December 6, starting at 2pm to give residents the chance to fill up their stockings.
On the day a variety of budget-friendly gift ideas will be on offer, and 25 pupils from Grove School will join chairman of Herts county council, Councillor Jane Pitman, to help decorate the centre’s Christmas tree.
Harpenden ReUse Centre is an innovative project where unwanted items are sold to support the charity, which provides hospice and neurological care to the thousands of people.
It is part of a joint venture between Sue Ryder, recycling company FCC Environment and Herts county council on behalf of Hertfordshire Waste Partnership, a partnership which also includes Hert’s district and borough councils.
Within its first year they have collected more than 9,000 items - the equivalent of 14,000kg of reusable items – from the Harpenden Household Waste Recycling Centre, which have been sold at the Sue Ryder-run centre.
Jinny Shoosmith, area retail manager at Sue Ryder, said: “We are delighted that the local councils have decided to support us in this way. The partnership is providing an innovative solution to ensure good quality items are recycled, increasing their lifespan, benefiting local communities as well as supporting Sue Ryder continue to provide vital care services to people when most needed.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 4 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 7 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
- 8 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 9 Hospices announce plans to join forces
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
For more information contact email@example.com