Harpenden pubs to stage own beer festival after CAMRA backs out
Over 50 real ales, perries and ciders will feature at three-day event
THERE will be plenty to cheer about in Harpenden next month when a host of town pubs hold their own beer festival.
Niki Hackett, owner of The Old Cock Inn, said her pub and two others, The Plough and Harrow and The Engineer, are organising the three-day event with support from The Carpenter’s Arms.
Harpenden’s Own Beer Festival is being held at The Royal British Legion, Leyton Road, from September 9-11.
Niki explained that the pubs decided to band together to organise the event, which features over 50 real ales, perries and ciders, after CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) was unable to secure a date to host its annual festival at the town hall.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Come and support your local pubs in Harpenden.”
There will be food available, and live bands entertaining visitors. Admission is �3.
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 2 Dirty Dancing and The Greatest Showman among St Albans open-air cinema screenings
- 3 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Author explores city's hidden history
- 6 Mental Health Awareness Week: Easing children’s worries and fears after lockdown
- 7 Whipsnade Zoo to celebrate 90th birthday with fun family activities
- 8 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 9 Olympic hopeful Raissa Vickery benefits from 948 Sports Foundation help
- 10 Council elections: who are St Albans Liberal Democrat candidates?
A spokesman for CAMRA said it was unfortunate the South Herts branch had been unable to host an event in Harpenden this year, blaming it on logistics as the event was volunteer-run.
The branch is instead concentrating its efforts on its beer festival in St Albans, which will be starting later in September. He said: “We don’t have enough manpower to run both festivals.”
For more information about Harpenden’s Own Beer Festival see www.harpendensownbeerfestival.co.uk