Harpenden pubs to stage own beer festival after CAMRA backs out
Over 50 real ales, perries and ciders will feature at three-day event
THERE will be plenty to cheer about in Harpenden next month when a host of town pubs hold their own beer festival.
Niki Hackett, owner of The Old Cock Inn, said her pub and two others, The Plough and Harrow and The Engineer, are organising the three-day event with support from The Carpenter’s Arms.
Harpenden’s Own Beer Festival is being held at The Royal British Legion, Leyton Road, from September 9-11.
Niki explained that the pubs decided to band together to organise the event, which features over 50 real ales, perries and ciders, after CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) was unable to secure a date to host its annual festival at the town hall.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Come and support your local pubs in Harpenden.”
There will be food available, and live bands entertaining visitors. Admission is �3.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
A spokesman for CAMRA said it was unfortunate the South Herts branch had been unable to host an event in Harpenden this year, blaming it on logistics as the event was volunteer-run.
The branch is instead concentrating its efforts on its beer festival in St Albans, which will be starting later in September. He said: “We don’t have enough manpower to run both festivals.”
For more information about Harpenden’s Own Beer Festival see www.harpendensownbeerfestival.co.uk