Harpenden pubs to stage own beer festival after CAMRA backs out
Over 50 real ales, perries and ciders will feature at three-day event
THERE will be plenty to cheer about in Harpenden next month when a host of town pubs hold their own beer festival.
Niki Hackett, owner of The Old Cock Inn, said her pub and two others, The Plough and Harrow and The Engineer, are organising the three-day event with support from The Carpenter’s Arms.
Harpenden’s Own Beer Festival is being held at The Royal British Legion, Leyton Road, from September 9-11.
Niki explained that the pubs decided to band together to organise the event, which features over 50 real ales, perries and ciders, after CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) was unable to secure a date to host its annual festival at the town hall.
She added: “Come and support your local pubs in Harpenden.”
There will be food available, and live bands entertaining visitors. Admission is �3.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 8 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 9 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
A spokesman for CAMRA said it was unfortunate the South Herts branch had been unable to host an event in Harpenden this year, blaming it on logistics as the event was volunteer-run.
The branch is instead concentrating its efforts on its beer festival in St Albans, which will be starting later in September. He said: “We don’t have enough manpower to run both festivals.”
For more information about Harpenden’s Own Beer Festival see www.harpendensownbeerfestival.co.uk