Harpenden PE teacher jailed for child sex offences
- Credit: Archant
A teacher from Harpenden was jailed yesterday (May 2) for 16 years for child sex offences.
Michael Smee, 39, from Stevenage, was found guilty of raping a child aged under 13 by Cambridge Crown Court yesterday (May 2).
The Judge told Smee: “You are every parent’s nightmare.”
“I am in no doubt whatsoever that you pose a significant risk to members of the public, particularly young boys.
Smee, a PE teacher from Wood End School, pleaded guilty to five other counts of sexual activity with a child. The offences did not take place at the school.
All of the offences occurred between January 2013 and April 2016.
Det Con Zoe Maddison said: “Smee abused his position of trust as a teacher and football coach to groom his young victim over a significant period of time.
- 1 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 2 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 3 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 4 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 5 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 6 Cash stolen from parked car on Harpenden Road in St Albans
- 7 Men of Fields embark on charity challenge
- 8 St Albans church organises eco-friendly event
- 9 'Hot Shot' Ivor Jones dies age 79
- 10 FULL RESULTS: Lib Dem landslide in St Albans council elections
“The victim’s family trusted Smee and they have been left devastated by what has happened.
“I hope that, following Smee’s conviction and his substantial prison sentence, his victim is now, with support, able to rebuild his life and move forward.”
Smee will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for the rest of his life, and an restraining order will prevent him contacting his victim or their family.
He has also been put on extended licence for a further eight years.