Harpenden PE teacher jailed for child sex offences
- Credit: Archant
A teacher from Harpenden was jailed yesterday (May 2) for 16 years for child sex offences.
Michael Smee, 39, from Stevenage, was found guilty of raping a child aged under 13 by Cambridge Crown Court yesterday (May 2).
The Judge told Smee: “You are every parent’s nightmare.”
“I am in no doubt whatsoever that you pose a significant risk to members of the public, particularly young boys.
Smee, a PE teacher from Wood End School, pleaded guilty to five other counts of sexual activity with a child. The offences did not take place at the school.
You may also want to watch:
All of the offences occurred between January 2013 and April 2016.
Det Con Zoe Maddison said: “Smee abused his position of trust as a teacher and football coach to groom his young victim over a significant period of time.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
“The victim’s family trusted Smee and they have been left devastated by what has happened.
“I hope that, following Smee’s conviction and his substantial prison sentence, his victim is now, with support, able to rebuild his life and move forward.”
Smee will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for the rest of his life, and an restraining order will prevent him contacting his victim or their family.
He has also been put on extended licence for a further eight years.