Harpenden PE teacher jailed for child sex offences
- Credit: Archant
A teacher from Harpenden was jailed yesterday (May 2) for 16 years for child sex offences.
Michael Smee, 39, from Stevenage, was found guilty of raping a child aged under 13 by Cambridge Crown Court yesterday (May 2).
The Judge told Smee: “You are every parent’s nightmare.”
“I am in no doubt whatsoever that you pose a significant risk to members of the public, particularly young boys.
Smee, a PE teacher from Wood End School, pleaded guilty to five other counts of sexual activity with a child. The offences did not take place at the school.
You may also want to watch:
All of the offences occurred between January 2013 and April 2016.
Det Con Zoe Maddison said: “Smee abused his position of trust as a teacher and football coach to groom his young victim over a significant period of time.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
“The victim’s family trusted Smee and they have been left devastated by what has happened.
“I hope that, following Smee’s conviction and his substantial prison sentence, his victim is now, with support, able to rebuild his life and move forward.”
Smee will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for the rest of his life, and an restraining order will prevent him contacting his victim or their family.
He has also been put on extended licence for a further eight years.