Harpenden PE teacher jailed for child sex offences
- Credit: Archant
A teacher from Harpenden was jailed yesterday (May 2) for 16 years for child sex offences.
Michael Smee, 39, from Stevenage, was found guilty of raping a child aged under 13 by Cambridge Crown Court yesterday (May 2).
The Judge told Smee: “You are every parent’s nightmare.”
“I am in no doubt whatsoever that you pose a significant risk to members of the public, particularly young boys.
Smee, a PE teacher from Wood End School, pleaded guilty to five other counts of sexual activity with a child. The offences did not take place at the school.
You may also want to watch:
All of the offences occurred between January 2013 and April 2016.
Det Con Zoe Maddison said: “Smee abused his position of trust as a teacher and football coach to groom his young victim over a significant period of time.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 3 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 4 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 5 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 6 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 7 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
- 8 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 9 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 10 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
“The victim’s family trusted Smee and they have been left devastated by what has happened.
“I hope that, following Smee’s conviction and his substantial prison sentence, his victim is now, with support, able to rebuild his life and move forward.”
Smee will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for the rest of his life, and an restraining order will prevent him contacting his victim or their family.
He has also been put on extended licence for a further eight years.