Harpenden nursing home's global tour
HOLIDAYMAKERS from a Harpenden nursing home have spent a month globetrotting from the comfort of their garden bench. BUPA Field House Nursing Home in Townsend Road embarked on a virtual cruise at the start of last month by transforming the back garden int
HOLIDAYMAKERS from a Harpenden nursing home have spent a month globetrotting from the comfort of their garden bench.
BUPA Field House Nursing Home in Townsend Road embarked on a virtual cruise at the start of last month by transforming the back garden into a different city each week, setting off from New York.
As well as helping the residents decorate the garden, manager Dorothy Allan and her activities organiser Mavis Russell also arranged a themed lunch, exotic cocktails and traditional entertainment for every stop made.
Dorothy said the garden has seen many wonders in the past month: "We've enjoyed Manhattan cocktails and a swing band in New York; traditional African dancing at Cape Town; a didgeridoo concert in Sydney; a sari-clad evening in Mumbai; and an Irish band in Dublin - and now I'm exhausted!"
You may also want to watch:
The end of the cruise was marked by a party in "Dublin", where Irish band Logic got the 32 residents on board in a party mood and one of the young carers, student nurse John Scudder, dressed up as a leprechaun for added entertainment.
Dorothy, who has promised another virtual cruise for next year, said everyone has returned from their holidays with renewed vigour: "It's so refreshing to be able to see the world from your back garden and it was all done so well - BUPA even gave us passports to use, which we stamped at every stop. I'm very grateful to hard-working people such as Mavis who made this all possible.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 4 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 5 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 6 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 7 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 8 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 9 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 10 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping