Harpenden man hits the heights with charity climb
MOUNTAIN man Andy Mills-Baker completed the biggest challenge of his life recently when he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. Andy, who is 60 next month, said the five-day trek to the top was the most gruelling and demanding physical challenge he has ever underta
MOUNTAIN man Andy Mills-Baker completed the biggest challenge of his life recently when he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro.
Andy, who is 60 next month, said the five-day trek to the top was the most gruelling and demanding physical challenge he has ever undertaken.
Andy, of The Warren, Harpenden, said: "I wouldn't have made it without the massive help of all my sponsors. I couldn't bear to let them down. In my darkest moments that was all that spurred me on."
He has raised almost �12,500 towards cancer and diabetes research and paid particular thanks to the support of Mike Pattison and his firm International Labmate whose t-shirt he wore at the summit.
Andy is married to Myra and they have two daughters Miranda and Annabel, who also helped with the fundraising.
Andy, Chairman of OA Sport at Woollams in St Albans, was a member of a 14-strong team organised by the New Victoria Medical Foundation who raised more than �100,000 between them for medical research and support.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 7 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
An operations manager with a firm of lawyers in London, Andy grew up in Brampton Road, St Albans, and went to St Albans School.
Donations can still be made on http://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Mills-Baker49/