Harpenden man convicted of sex with underage girls
- Credit: Archant
HAVING sex with two underage girls has resulted in a 20-year-old man being placed on a Sex Offender Programme for the next three years.
Oscar Abernethy-Cortez, 20, of Bramble Close, Harpenden, was found guilty of assault by penetration on a 15-year-old girl he met through Facebook in July 2010.
After his arrest for the offence, he was bailed but in December of that year he had sex with a 14 year old in a car. That led to his conviction for sexual activity with a child.
A jury was unable to agree its verdict on a charge that Abernethy-Cortez had raped the 15-year-old girl and a retrial was set for the Old Bailey but last year the prosecution decided not to proceed.
Abernethy-Cortez had been held in custody since mid 2011. At an earlier hearing his barrister Denis Barry said the offences were carried out a “considerable time ago” when Abernethy-Cortez was much younger.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Martin Griffith, who had adjourned sentence for the report from the Sex Offender Programme to be prepared, said Abernethy-Cortez had taken advantage of younger girls who needed to be protected.
He placed him under supervision for three years with three years on the Sex Offender Programme. He must register as a Sex Offender for five years.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award