Harpenden is setting for new comedy drama play
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden takes centre stage next week as the setting of debut play from an top selling author.
St Albans writer Angela Clarke, author of Confessions of a Fashionista, has penned a new play based in the town.
Comic drama The Legacy, which opens at the Hope Theatre in Islington tomorrow, follows an activist who finds herself living in the suburbs.
Angela got the inspiration from living in the area and from seeing a strong activist movement online.
She said: “I was seeing a lot of women (in particular) moving out from London to St Albans and Harpenden and surrounding areas to start a family, and how for many their lives changed very quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“They went from being independent, career women in the urban area to being mothers in suburbia. That’s a huge change for many, it’s not a question of good or bad, but just very different.”
The play focuses on two estranged sisters: devoted wife and mother Rebecca and her sibling Esther; a free-spirited activist.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 4 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 7 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 8 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 9 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
They re-unite following their late father’s death, much to Rebecca’s delight, but cracks soon start to appear.
It stars Claira Watson Parr as Esther and Lucinda Westcar as Rebecca. “Their energy and talent brings a whole new dynamic to the play,” said Angela.
The show will run at the theatre for a week, but Angela hopes there will be more performances to follow.
She added: “We have been in talks with several key people, so watch this space!”
You can find out more information and buy tickets here.