Harpenden is setting for new comedy drama play
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden takes centre stage next week as the setting of debut play from an top selling author.
St Albans writer Angela Clarke, author of Confessions of a Fashionista, has penned a new play based in the town.
Comic drama The Legacy, which opens at the Hope Theatre in Islington tomorrow, follows an activist who finds herself living in the suburbs.
Angela got the inspiration from living in the area and from seeing a strong activist movement online.
She said: “I was seeing a lot of women (in particular) moving out from London to St Albans and Harpenden and surrounding areas to start a family, and how for many their lives changed very quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“They went from being independent, career women in the urban area to being mothers in suburbia. That’s a huge change for many, it’s not a question of good or bad, but just very different.”
The play focuses on two estranged sisters: devoted wife and mother Rebecca and her sibling Esther; a free-spirited activist.
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 6 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 7 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 8 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 9 Seven-up for Devine as Colney Heath reach final of spring cup
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
They re-unite following their late father’s death, much to Rebecca’s delight, but cracks soon start to appear.
It stars Claira Watson Parr as Esther and Lucinda Westcar as Rebecca. “Their energy and talent brings a whole new dynamic to the play,” said Angela.
The show will run at the theatre for a week, but Angela hopes there will be more performances to follow.
She added: “We have been in talks with several key people, so watch this space!”
You can find out more information and buy tickets here.