Harpenden husband pleads guilty to assaulting wife of 50 years
A 72-YEAR-OLD man from Harpenden has pleaded guilty to assaulting his wife of 50 years.
John Rogers, of Beeching Close, assaulted his wife Heather, 70, on October 23 after an argument over a meal she had prepared.
Rogers, who was convicted of an assault on his wife in June 2009, was thought to have been drinking as his wife noted his face was flushed as it normally was after he’d had alcohol.
As the argument escalated and a plate of food fell to the floor, Mrs Rogers grew frightened and went to call the police but her husband forcibly prevented her from making the phone call, grabbing her wrist.
She fled to the bedroom and attempted to dial 999 with her mobile phone but Rogers began attacking his wife and they ended up struggling on the floor.
You may also want to watch:
When Mrs Rogers got through to the police, her husband got up and began tidying the flat. Her top was torn and she was left bruised and shaken.
In a statement read out by her solicitor, Mrs Rogers said that she had given him a second chance after the last assault and allowed him to move back in last year but would not be giving him another.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
She also said that she believed her husband had an alcohol problem and was secretly drinking in his garage.
She added that whilst she still had feelings for him after 50 years of marriage she couldn’t believe he had done this again after all the trouble they’d been through. The case was adjourned for a full pre-sentence report until November 25.