Harpenden Guide snaps her way to final of national photo contest
SNAPPING a summer holiday moment has won a Harpenden Girl Guide a prize in a national photography competition. Jodie Haines, aged 14, from 5th Harpenden Guides, scooped third place in a Girlguiding competition which had over 3,000 entries from nearly 100
SNAPPING a summer holiday moment has won a Harpenden Girl Guide a prize in a national photography competition.
Jodie Haines, aged 14, from 5th Harpenden Guides, scooped third place in a Girlguiding competition which had over 3,000 entries from nearly 100 guiding group around the UK.
The competition, called Take a Photo, Make a Difference, was in association with development charity Plan UK and asked Girl Guides to find out what challenges girls in developing countries face, before expressing their findings through photography.
As well as winning a digital camera Jodie, whose photo shows her jumping off a sand dune whilst on holiday in Cornwall, had her photo displayed alongside other entries in an exhibition at the Association of Photographer's Gallery in London at the end of last month.
Jodie said that she was delighted with the achievement: "I was shocked to hear that I'd come third in the competition! My mum and granddad are both interested in photography so it's nice to think it must run in the family. I took the photo while my family were all together and I wanted to capture our enjoyment."
Jodie's Guide Leader Carole Doherty said that she enjoyed visiting the exhibition: "Seeing Jodie's photograph displayed in the gallery made me feel proud of the role that guiding plays in the lives of girls both at home and abroad. Guiding offers so many opportunities to achieve amazing things!
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins