Harpenden girl aiming for Great North Run
- Credit: Archant
A FORMER Harpenden schoolgirl is nursing hopes of raising plenty of money for a small charity when she takes part in the Great North Run in September. Georgia Wilding, who previously lived in the town and went to Sir John Lawes School, is currently a student nurse at Northumbria University.
She is taking part in the Great North Run this year for Live Life Then Give Life, an organ donation charity.
It is the second time that Georgia has run the 13.1-mile course – last September she took part to fundraise for cystic fibrosis.
She wants to raise as much awareness and money as possible for Live Life Then Give Life after her cousin underwent two liver transplants by the age of 23.
She said on her JustGiving page: “My family is so fortunate to still have my cousin with us today thanks to the generosity of two donors and their families.” Her enthusiasm for the charity, for which she will be the only runner in the Great North Run, also comes from completing work experience at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle, one of the leading transplant facilities in the country.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I enjoyed my time there and it made me see how important organ donation is and how much transplantation can mean to somone.”
To contribute to Georgia’s fundraising endeavour go to www.justgiving.com/georgia-wilding1. To register as an organ donor apply to www.organdonation.nhs.uk
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 6 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 7 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 8 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 9 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 10 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder