Harpenden gets a taste of food festival with street event
- Credit: Archant
Food and all its different flavours and forms was celebrated at the first Harpenden Street Food Festival last weekend.
Restaurants across the town and some from neighbouring St Albans took to the streets to promote their menu highlights to scores of foodies as part of the annual St Albans and Harpenden Food and Drink Festival.
Throughout the day people could watch cooking demonstrations at the cookery theatre, with presentations from Bar Azita, That Little Place, and also a Master Chef finalist, Theo Michaels.
A cook off competition was held in the afternoon which saw Alec Goodhand from That Little Place win best cooked dish over Terenzio Di Francesco from Eatalia.
Town mayor Cllr Mary Maynard led the judging of the competition and said: “It was lovely to see residents enjoying a great selection of food and drink from local businesses.
You may also want to watch:
“The cookery demonstrations were very informative and the standard of cakes I had to judge in the children’s cake decorating competition was very high.”
This weekend the spotlight on the district’s food will shine on St Albans at the Street Food Festival in St Peter’s Street on Sunday.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Cllr Beric Read, portfolio holder for community engagement and localism at St Albans district council, said: “St Albans and Harpenden Food and Drink Festival is attracting visitors from far and wide to the many events.
“There are plenty of opportunities to sample food and drink produced by local businesses.
“Make the most of the festival and come along to the street food festival finale in St Albans on Sunday.”