Harpenden voter calls for greater humility at Westminster on Victoria Derbyshire show
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden voter has told BBC2’s Victoria Derbyshire show Westminster politicians should have greater humility.
Carol Hedges was part of a select group of voters who appeared on the show to draw up a code of conduct for MPs.
They were helped by a number of MPs, including former Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw, and leading Brexiteer John Barron.
Carol firstly said politicians were “in need of guidance” and wanted them to recognise being an MP was a privilege.
She said she had been shocked by the prominent Conservative backbencher Graham Brady, who had implied Labour voters were unintelligent.
When helping to draw up the list, Carol said one of the rules should be humility.
She explained it was because politicians needed to realise: “You are there only because we put a cross in a box.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 6 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 7 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
“We could easily put the cross in another box.”
The full episode can be viewed here until July.