Two people arrested during fly-tipping operation in Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
Police arrested two people and seized a vehicle during an operation to crack down on fly-tippers in Harpenden.
Between 10am and midday on Wednesday (October 9) a 55-year-old man was arrested for driving while disqualified and a 49-year-old woman was arrested for possession of a suspected fraudulent insurance certificate. Both have been released under investigation.
Officers from the Harpenden and St Albans safer neighbourhood teams were joined by colleagues from the Environment Agency, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency and St Albans district council in Redbourn Lane.
A Ford Transit van was seized as the driver was disqualified from driving and had no insurance, and one vehicle was prohibited due to having two illegal tyres and was unable to leave until new tyres were fitted. Several other vehicles needed to have defects fixed within seven days, including a badly cracked windscreen.
Three motorists were also reported for driving without insurance, and others were dealt with for carrying waste without the correct documentation.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans district neighbourhood inspector Andy Wiseman said: "This was a successful, proactive operation involving our partner agencies to tackle fly-tipping.
"We also arrested a man on suspicion of driving whilst disqualified and seized his van. It's scary to think drivers are travelling with defects on their vehicles, so by doing these joint operations, we are making our roads safer for everyone as well as reducing fly-tipping, which blights communities."
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 3 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 6 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 7 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 8 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 9 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 10 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden