Harpenden entrepreneur launches student cooking app
- Credit: Archant
A young entrepreneur has launched a free new app offering students quick and easy recipes for cooking on a budget.
Former Roundwood Park School pupil Niam Parmar, 20, is the brains behind Student Chef, which has already seen more than 2,500 downloads in six different countries.
Niam, of Brackendale Grove in Harpenden, explained: ‘I realised that if I struggled with what to cook at university, then a lot of other students must struggle as well. Although recipe books are widely available, we’re in the 21st century now where smartphones are commonplace.
“I put two and two together and decided to create the app, and I made it free since I know that the majority of university students are reluctant to part with their money unless they’re spending it on a night out or on food!”
With design work completed by former Roundwood Park schoolmate Tom Ephgrave in exchange for a share of the business, Niam has been working on promoting the app to a wider audience.
You may also want to watch:
It now features more than 100 different recipes, with sub-categories including chicken, lamb, pork, beef, pasta, fish, rice and vegetarian options, as well as a feature allowing users to upload their own tasty dishes to the app.
Niam, who currently works for an accountancy firm in Hemel Hempstead, has already registered the app as a limited company, and has plans to expand it further in the future.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan