Harpenden dad joins Willow 10K in thanks for charity’s support
- Credit: Archant
A father of two will be running his first 10k next weekend to raise money for a charity which gave his wife some much needed respite when suffering with cancer.
40-year-old Djerk Geurts, of Harpenden, will be running in the Willow 10K next Sunday at Hatfield House, where hundreds are expected to run in aid of the charity.
Willow offers 16-40 year olds who are seriously ill fulfilling and uplifting ‘special days’. Djerk and his wife Hayley were treated to a spa break at Luton Hoo five years ago when she was diagnosed with breast cancer for a second time, aged just 30.
Djerk said: “Being confronted with cancer for the second time pretty much rocked our world. Life went from looking forward, to coping. I’m so grateful for the support we had from friends, family and others. Still, it was tough watching my wife go through not just radiotherapy but this time also chemotherapy. It’s hard to watch a partner go through treatment and feel helpless.
“That’s why Willow is so amazing; the Special Days help to lift spirits of people who are in need of hope and a smile, even if just for a moment. We applied hoping that it would give my wife a day to look forward to; there’s much strength to be had from purpose and the prospect of joy.”
Djerk commented that they still felt the effects of their break away to this day. He added: “Thanks to Willow we have changed our outlook on the time we spend together; we’re living life and enjoying each moment.
“None of us know how much time we’re given, but what we can do is make every moment count and that’s why I’m running the Willow 10k and raising sponsorship. I believe in the good Willow does and the impact it has on people who are in a time of need.”
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 5 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 6 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 7 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 10 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
To sponsor Djerk visit his Justgiving page: https://www.justgiving.com/dmgeurts
If you would like to take part, there are still places available on the 10K and 5K routes, and a 1K junior run for under 14s. For more information visit https://www.willowfoundation.org.uk/willow10k