Harpenden cyclist completes 700 mile fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
A keen cyclist embarked on his own Tour De France and rode more than 700 miles in memory of a family friend who died aged just 16.
Peter Branston, 54, of East Cote Drive, Harpenden, made the 10 day trip across France to raise money in memory of his friend’s daughter who recently died from leukaemia.
He said: “It’s the least I could do, no one could ever recover from a loss like that.”
A player in the third team at Harpenden Rugby Club, Peter left the home comforts of Harpenden and cycled from Bernay to Saint Genis des Fontaines, just 15km away from the Spanish border.
Peter said: “It was a fabulous experience, a tremendous way to see so much of France that I wouldn’t normally see. There was such hospitality everywhere I went; people were so interested in what I was doing.”
You may also want to watch:
After days of cycling mountainous terrains and manoeuvring in and out quaint towns, Peter was given a mayoral reception upon his late-night arrival in his wife’s former hometown.
“My wife, two daughters and lots of other people including the mayor were there to meet me at the end of it, it was a real reception!”
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
Peter has so far raised around £600 of his £1,000 target, “I’m still off my target but would like to thank the people who have donated so far,” he added.
All money collected from the ride will be donated to Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research. To sponsor Peter’s fundraising efforts visit www.justgiving.com/Peter-Branston/