Harpenden cyclist completes 700 mile fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
A keen cyclist embarked on his own Tour De France and rode more than 700 miles in memory of a family friend who died aged just 16.
Peter Branston, 54, of East Cote Drive, Harpenden, made the 10 day trip across France to raise money in memory of his friend’s daughter who recently died from leukaemia.
He said: “It’s the least I could do, no one could ever recover from a loss like that.”
A player in the third team at Harpenden Rugby Club, Peter left the home comforts of Harpenden and cycled from Bernay to Saint Genis des Fontaines, just 15km away from the Spanish border.
Peter said: “It was a fabulous experience, a tremendous way to see so much of France that I wouldn’t normally see. There was such hospitality everywhere I went; people were so interested in what I was doing.”
You may also want to watch:
After days of cycling mountainous terrains and manoeuvring in and out quaint towns, Peter was given a mayoral reception upon his late-night arrival in his wife’s former hometown.
“My wife, two daughters and lots of other people including the mayor were there to meet me at the end of it, it was a real reception!”
- 1 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 2 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Sustainable St Albans hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Peter has so far raised around £600 of his £1,000 target, “I’m still off my target but would like to thank the people who have donated so far,” he added.
All money collected from the ride will be donated to Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research. To sponsor Peter’s fundraising efforts visit www.justgiving.com/Peter-Branston/