Harpenden cubs’ record-breaking Christmas card deliveries
Cubs put their heads together on Sunday to deliver a record number of Christmas cards for the elderly in Harpenden.
For the past 33 years, Harpenden cubs have run the service which is thought to be a unique scheme in the country.
Fortunately the weather was very clement which helped as the cubs set about delivering 3,752 cards, saving pensioners some £2,000 in postage costs.
Vice-president of Harpenden and Wheathampstead Scouts, Rikki Harrington, said: “More importantly, though the cubs - and their parents it seems - enjoy doing it and the users appreciate it - it’s a win-win.”
Over 100 cubs from the town’s 12 packs took part and were helped with the sorting by Harpenden Mayor, Cllr Nicola Linacre.
You may also want to watch:
Scouting is booming in Harpenden - there are now more than 1,600 members, a growth of 6 per cent in the past year.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
- 9 Harpenden's first Sustainable Market is a scorching success
- 10 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'