Harpenden football club is latest to join #LivesNotKnives campaign
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden football club is the latest to take a stand against knife crime.
Harpenden Colts FC held an event on September 17 as part of Herts police's #LivesNotKnives campaign, in which former England footballer Rachel Yankey delivered a talk at The Royal British Legion.
The event, attended by officers from Herts police's gangs and schools team, coincided with an Operation Sceptre national knife amnesty running until September 22.
Harpenden Colts FC joins various other clubs around Hertfordshire supporting the campaign, including Stevenage FC, West Herts Warriors, Hemel Storm and Herts Basketball.
Colts chairman Richard Bandell said: "Our aim is to make all of our young players aware of the risks of carrying a knife.
You may also want to watch:
"Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our players, and we hope the campaign will help them to make better choices and to channel their efforts and talent into building genuine self-confidence through their involvement in football."
Sgt Helen Croughton, from Herts police's gangs and schools team, said: "We are using sport as a means of engaging with young people and it is so important for positive role models to demonstrate their support against knife crime."
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 4 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 5 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 6 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 7 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 8 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 9 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 10 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
The #LivesNotKnives branded sports balls are free for youth teams around Hertfordshire. Find out more by emailing Helen.Croughton@hert.pnn.police.uk.