Harpenden chippy is frying high after double award win
- Credit: Archant
A popular fish and chip shop has battered the opposition in two competitions in the space of a week.
Godfrey’s Fish and Chips in Harpenden High Street has emerged as the top fryer in Central and Southern England in the 2017 National Fish and Chip Awards.
And it has also been named as the best takeaway in the St Albans and Harpenden Food and Drink Festival awards.
Godfrey’s now goes forward to compete against the nine other regional winners in a bid to be crowned Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the Year next January.
Owner Luke Godfrey commented: “It was really disappointing not making the top 10 stage for the last two years – but it’s all been worth it now. Being shortlisted for the UK top 60 stage was amazing, but reaching the top 10 is a real achievement and a fantastic feeling.”
You may also want to watch:
He went on: “We’re a family-run business; my mum ran a chip shop when I was younger and now she works three days a week in our shop, my dad even makes all of our pies. We’ve gone so much further than ever before though, we’re now actively engaging with our community through school talks and local events. We’re also working on our environmental sustainability credentials by creating our own recyclable packaging.
“Keeping it simple works for us – we’re all about the traditional dishes – so it’s great to have recognition for our hard work beyond the line of customers that stretches out the door every night.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?