Harpenden chippy is frying high after double award win
- Credit: Archant
A popular fish and chip shop has battered the opposition in two competitions in the space of a week.
Godfrey’s Fish and Chips in Harpenden High Street has emerged as the top fryer in Central and Southern England in the 2017 National Fish and Chip Awards.
And it has also been named as the best takeaway in the St Albans and Harpenden Food and Drink Festival awards.
Godfrey’s now goes forward to compete against the nine other regional winners in a bid to be crowned Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the Year next January.
Owner Luke Godfrey commented: “It was really disappointing not making the top 10 stage for the last two years – but it’s all been worth it now. Being shortlisted for the UK top 60 stage was amazing, but reaching the top 10 is a real achievement and a fantastic feeling.”
You may also want to watch:
He went on: “We’re a family-run business; my mum ran a chip shop when I was younger and now she works three days a week in our shop, my dad even makes all of our pies. We’ve gone so much further than ever before though, we’re now actively engaging with our community through school talks and local events. We’re also working on our environmental sustainability credentials by creating our own recyclable packaging.
“Keeping it simple works for us – we’re all about the traditional dishes – so it’s great to have recognition for our hard work beyond the line of customers that stretches out the door every night.”
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 3 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 4 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 5 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
- 6 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 7 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 8 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 9 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 10 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted