Harpenden charity forced out of premises in rent arrears row
- Credit: Archant
A dispute over rent arrears has led to charity hub and shop being forced to move to temporary premises.
Hightown Housing Association, which supports the Community Meeting Point (CMP) premises in Station Road, Harpenden, has been denied access following a rent dispute with the landlord, TEJ Properties.
The property in Harding Parade has been used by CMP since August 2011 to provide a range of support services to people in the area whose lives have been affected by mental illness and to run a charity shop to help fund the service.
CMP supports 28 local people, with 25 attending on a weekly basis to take part in a variety of therapeutic activities, exercise groups, life skills training, courses and work experience.
TEJ Properties has made a planning application to redevelop the premises.
You may also want to watch:
Hightown is applying to court to regain access to the building. In the meantime, the CMP service is being temporarily located in the nearby United Reformed Church this week. From Monday (18) it will be based at the High Street Methodist Church.
David Bogle, Hightown’s chief executive, said yesterday: “We’d like to thank both churches for helping us out at such short notice. We are very disappointed about what has happened, but want to carry on supporting our service users. We are doing all we can to resolve the situation.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common