Harpenden celebrates Armed Forces Day
SUNSHINE and fun on Harpenden Common last Sunday combined to raise awareness of the armed forces and the contribution they make to British society.
Harpenden Armed Forces Day opened with a parade and wreath-laying ceremony at the war memorial followed by an inter-services cadet sports competition which included a parade drill routine, tug of war, obstacle course and climbing wall.
It was the second Armed Forces Day held in collaboration between the Royal British Legion, town council and representatives of Harpenden army, air, sea and police cadets.
Town Mayor, Cllr Mike Weaver, was at the event throughout the day and with Captain Tom Roden from Bassingbourn Barracks, presented the prize to the winning cadet troop. The police cadets won the best parade drill routine with the army cadets winning the overall competition.
Among the family events was a 100-metre inflatable obstacle course, a climbing wall and displays put on by each cadet group.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor said: “It was a spectacular day with plenty to enjoy, celebrate and do. My congratulations go to the army cadets on their overall success. But in my book everyone was a winner.
“Special thanks must be extended to the police cadets for the hard work they did in getting everything organised on the day.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield