Harpenden businessman reaches Franchisee of the Year finals
WHEN Mark Fordham was made redundant six years ago he seized the opportunity to set up his own franchise business. The father of two from Cravells Road, Harpenden, bought a stake in TaxAssist Accountants with his redundancy money and spent the first six m
WHEN Mark Fordham was made redundant six years ago he seized the opportunity to set up his own franchise business.
The father of two from Cravells Road, Harpenden, bought a stake in TaxAssist Accountants with his redundancy money and spent the first six months networking and making himself known in the district.
It paid off for him as he has been named a finalist in the annual British Franchise Association's HSBC Franchisee of the Year Awards sponsored by HSBC Bank and Express Newspapers.
Mark, 46, said: "I now employ nine people and have a shop front in Southdown which makes it easy for people to just drop in.
"I think the reason I've been successful is because I am proactive and give people what they want. I am flexible timewise so will meet people early or late depending on their needs."
In a time of economic downturn Mark's turnover is up 35 per cent on last year and his client base is up 30 per cent on last year.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
Mark is one of ten franchisees who impressed the judging panel chaired by Sir Bernard Ingham with his presentation and interview.
The winner will be announced at a black-tie dinner at the International Convention Centre (ICC) in Birmingham on October 1. Cheques for �3,000 and �2,000 will also be presented to the silver and bronze winners respectively.