Harpenden businessman reaches Franchisee of the Year finals
WHEN Mark Fordham was made redundant six years ago he seized the opportunity to set up his own franchise business. The father of two from Cravells Road, Harpenden, bought a stake in TaxAssist Accountants with his redundancy money and spent the first six m
WHEN Mark Fordham was made redundant six years ago he seized the opportunity to set up his own franchise business.
The father of two from Cravells Road, Harpenden, bought a stake in TaxAssist Accountants with his redundancy money and spent the first six months networking and making himself known in the district.
It paid off for him as he has been named a finalist in the annual British Franchise Association's HSBC Franchisee of the Year Awards sponsored by HSBC Bank and Express Newspapers.
Mark, 46, said: "I now employ nine people and have a shop front in Southdown which makes it easy for people to just drop in.
You may also want to watch:
"I think the reason I've been successful is because I am proactive and give people what they want. I am flexible timewise so will meet people early or late depending on their needs."
In a time of economic downturn Mark's turnover is up 35 per cent on last year and his client base is up 30 per cent on last year.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 3 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 7 A New York state of mind
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
Mark is one of ten franchisees who impressed the judging panel chaired by Sir Bernard Ingham with his presentation and interview.
The winner will be announced at a black-tie dinner at the International Convention Centre (ICC) in Birmingham on October 1. Cheques for �3,000 and �2,000 will also be presented to the silver and bronze winners respectively.