Harpenden boy wins Oyster card competition
- Credit: Archant
A pearl of a motif by a schoolboy has won him top prize in a competition to design an Oyster Card wallet.
Twelve-year-old Oliver Chalcroft, who goes to St George’s School in Harpenden, designed a wallet for the travel card as part of a competition organised by the Institute of Imagination and Big Dance.
His design was chosen as the winner from 500 entries by former ballet star and Strictly Come Dancing judge, Darcy Bussell.
It will be printed on 10,000 wallets and distributed to Londoners this summer as part of Big Dance 2016.
Oliver was prompted to enter the competition by his sister, Yemisi, and hopes to pursue a career in art.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “My friends and my teachers have been telling me for some time that my art was really good, but it was finally my little sister, Yemisi, that told me I should enter an art competition and that’s what I did.”
He added: “I see winning this competition as a big starting point. I hope to travel in the future and see and draw loads of sights around the world.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 6 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 10 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems