Harpenden boy wins Oyster card competition
- Credit: Archant
A pearl of a motif by a schoolboy has won him top prize in a competition to design an Oyster Card wallet.
Twelve-year-old Oliver Chalcroft, who goes to St George’s School in Harpenden, designed a wallet for the travel card as part of a competition organised by the Institute of Imagination and Big Dance.
His design was chosen as the winner from 500 entries by former ballet star and Strictly Come Dancing judge, Darcy Bussell.
It will be printed on 10,000 wallets and distributed to Londoners this summer as part of Big Dance 2016.
Oliver was prompted to enter the competition by his sister, Yemisi, and hopes to pursue a career in art.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “My friends and my teachers have been telling me for some time that my art was really good, but it was finally my little sister, Yemisi, that told me I should enter an art competition and that’s what I did.”
He added: “I see winning this competition as a big starting point. I hope to travel in the future and see and draw loads of sights around the world.”
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 3 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 6 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 7 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 8 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 9 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 10 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden