Harpenden blogger wins national award
- Credit: Archant
A Harpenden blogger fought off stiff competition to claim a national gong at one of the UK’s most prestigious digital award ceremonies.
Kate Russell, 46, technology reporter at BBC Click who is also an author, scooped the individual award in the Digital and Technology category at the UK Blog Awards for her self-entitled blog.
Her aim behind the project was to break down barriers surrounding the world of technology to make it understandable for everyone.
She said: “It was a real honour to win the award and fantastic to meet all the other bloggers.
“It’s important for diversity in the media that we have a strong voice and our best chance of that is by standing together as a community rather than seeing each other as competition.
You may also want to watch:
“I met the other bloggers shortlisted in my category and we are now firm friends and vowed to support each other and help publicise each other’s work.”
She also live streamed her acceptance of the award on Periscope.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 9 Pupils' brighter walk to school thanks to developer
- 10 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
The awards received a total of 2,000 entries and 48,000 public votes to whittle down the overall shortlists who were then chosen by a panel of judges.
Founder and director, Gemma Pears, said: “What an incredible night we had at The Montcalm to celebrate the UK’s top industry bloggers.
“Kate was up against stiff competition in the Digital and Technology category, but was a truly deserving winner.
“This year’s voting process was staggering and the amount of enthusiasm we received for the 2015 awards has been overwhelming, but is a true reflection of the importance of blogging for companies, individuals and freelancers across the UK. “