Harpenden bids for independence
- Credit: Archant
A GRASS roots campaign has been launched today in a bid to bring about home rule for Harpenden.
The initiative is being driven by the town council’s desire to achieve total autonomy after they successfully won back control over parks and open spaces from the district last year.
If successful, Harpenden would be able to establish its own military and border controls, and the new government could pass laws and ordinances as they see fit to further its operations within the bounds of national law.
Whether this would involve declaring war on neighbouring Luton has not been confirmed, but it is rumoured that a Berlin-style wall will be constructed just north of Kinsbourne Green to restrict immigration from Bedfordshire.
Campaign spokesperson Avril Premier said: “We believe a free and independent Harpenden is the only way forward to ensure the continuity of our way of life, and at midday today will be presenting our argument to the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street.”
You may also want to watch:
SORRY! This story was an April Fool! Hope you weren’t caught out!
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 May 17th: Fighting Cocks landlord overjoyed to welcome customers back
- 3 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 4 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 5 St Albans' Caribbean community launches volcano relief fundraising campaign
- 6 Sustainable markets will top and tail annual St Albans eco-festival
- 7 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 8 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 9 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 10 Schools across Herts miss out on £1.9 million of free school meal funding