Harpenden bids for independence
- Credit: Archant
A GRASS roots campaign has been launched today in a bid to bring about home rule for Harpenden.
The initiative is being driven by the town council’s desire to achieve total autonomy after they successfully won back control over parks and open spaces from the district last year.
If successful, Harpenden would be able to establish its own military and border controls, and the new government could pass laws and ordinances as they see fit to further its operations within the bounds of national law.
Whether this would involve declaring war on neighbouring Luton has not been confirmed, but it is rumoured that a Berlin-style wall will be constructed just north of Kinsbourne Green to restrict immigration from Bedfordshire.
Campaign spokesperson Avril Premier said: “We believe a free and independent Harpenden is the only way forward to ensure the continuity of our way of life, and at midday today will be presenting our argument to the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street.”
You may also want to watch:
SORRY! This story was an April Fool! Hope you weren’t caught out!
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 9 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 10 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match