Harpenden bids for independence
- Credit: Archant
A GRASS roots campaign has been launched today in a bid to bring about home rule for Harpenden.
The initiative is being driven by the town council’s desire to achieve total autonomy after they successfully won back control over parks and open spaces from the district last year.
If successful, Harpenden would be able to establish its own military and border controls, and the new government could pass laws and ordinances as they see fit to further its operations within the bounds of national law.
Whether this would involve declaring war on neighbouring Luton has not been confirmed, but it is rumoured that a Berlin-style wall will be constructed just north of Kinsbourne Green to restrict immigration from Bedfordshire.
Campaign spokesperson Avril Premier said: “We believe a free and independent Harpenden is the only way forward to ensure the continuity of our way of life, and at midday today will be presenting our argument to the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street.”
You may also want to watch:
SORRY! This story was an April Fool! Hope you weren’t caught out!
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire