Seriously ill Harpenden 12-year-old treated to bowling with YouTube star
- Credit: Archant
A 12-year-old recovering from a kidney transplant was treated to a special bowling party with a YouTube video star.
Harpenden’s Ross Sutherland met blogger Oli White at a bowling party organised by Rays of Sunshine - a charity dedicated to brightening the lives of children with serious or life-limiting illnesses.
When Ross was just a week old, his mum Elizabeth had to resuscitate him in their home, and 12 months later he was diagnosed with renal failure, which he has been battling ever since.
Throughout his life Ross has been forced to have regular hospital visits, scans, blood tests, and finally a kidney transplant at Great Ormond Street Hospital in February this year.
Although he was in hospital for eight weeks after the surgery, the transplant should offer relief from Ross’ symptoms and he will not need to go under the knife again for at least 30 years.
You may also want to watch:
He now has three kidneys, a new one and his original two.
However, the Roundwood Park School student loves watching blogs and even has his own YouTube channel - under Burn Brawler - and was treated to the outing as a respite and distraction from his illness.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
Oli White, who is an ambassador for the charity, said: “It was great to be a part of something so positive and help Rays of Sunshine put a big smile on all the children’s faces, like Ross.
“That’s why I am delighted to be an ambassador for the charity and help them to continue to grant magical wishes for brave children.”
Ross quizzed Oli about vlogging, gaming, and pranking.
Oli’s video collection includes Trying Food My Brother Has Never Liked and Burglary Prank On My Parents.
Mum Elizabeth Sutherland said: “Thank you so much Rays of Sunshine for inviting Ross to meet with Oli.
“We had a lovely time and Ross really enjoyed himself. The outing really gave him a spark back that he’s been missing for a while – he can’t stop smiling!”
She said he was lucky to have had outstanding treatment in hospitals throughout his life and was thankful to his “amazing, close knit group of friends who are hugely supportive and kind”.
The party was held at All Star Bowling in Holborn on May 10.
Symptoms of kidney failure can include tiredness, swollen ankles, feet or hands, shortness of breath, and nausea.
For more information, visit www.raysofsunshine.org.uk