Grove House’s Liz facing up to her cycling challenge
IT is uphill all the way for Grove House community fundraiser Liz Hizli as she gets ready for the bike ride of a lifetime with just 18 weeks in which to get fit.
Liz, who spends her time encouraging others to raise funds for the hospice, is undertaking a gruelling training schedule to complete the 100-mile a day Deloitte Ride Across Britain in June.
Nuffield Health and Fitness Club in St Albans has helped Liz kick start her training by providing free membership and personal training as well as nutritional advice from Chris Holt. Three times a week Liz leaves her house at dawn to take part in an early morning spin class, before going on to work her normal day at the hospice.
Liz explained: “As well the spin classes, we have started our road training recently – I think that was when I really realised just what a challenge I’d taken on! The road bikes, which have been supplied by the Giant Store in Radlett, are brilliant but very different from the mountain bike I have been used to riding.
“I managed to fall off going uphill and totally lose my nerve going down! By the end of the day I was wondering why on earth I thought I could do this at all!”
You may also want to watch:
Liz went on: “However, I have to keep remembering what a great cause Grove House is and the amazing things people do to support us. Together with my partner John Pilny and my brother-in-law, Simon Gay, we are determined to raise at least �10,000 for the hospice and complete the challenge.
“I have to be able to cycle 80 miles in a day by the end of this month so that’s going to be my first target.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 5 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 6 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 7 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 8 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
The Deloitte Ride Across Britain is a nine-stage cycling event taking place taking place between June 11-19. For more information about the challenge visit www.rideacrossbritain.com
To sponsor Liz and follow her progress visit http://www.justgiving.com/jog2le4gh
If you would like to take up a challenge for Grove House, give Liz a call on 01727 731008 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk
The Herts Advertiser will be following Liz’s progress so look out for another update next month.