Greenhouse fire threatens St Albans home

A FIRE broke out in a greenhouse leaving flames leaping up the side of the adjoining house this morning (Wednesday). Two fire crews from St Albans were called to the incident in Rodney Avenue, St Albans, at around 8.30am and quickly put out the blaze engu

A FIRE broke out in a greenhouse leaving flames leaping up the side of the adjoining house this morning (Wednesday).

Two fire crews from St Albans were called to the incident in Rodney Avenue, St Albans, at around 8.30am and quickly put out the blaze engulfing the small greenhouse.

The homeowner had attempted to put out the fire himself but was overcome by smoke and the firefighters gave him oxygen before paramedics arrived to treat him.

Watch commander Trevor Ray explained that a fault in the heater inside the greenhouse, which was under a metre high and about one-and-a-half metres wide, was the cause of the fire. He said the flames were leaping up the side of the adjoining house on their arrival, causing heat and smoke damage to the brick work.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter