Greenhouse fire threatens St Albans home

PUBLISHED: 10:41 11 March 2009 | UPDATED: 14:01 06 May 2010

A FIRE broke out in a greenhouse leaving flames leaping up the side of the adjoining house this morning (Wednesday). Two fire crews from St Albans were called to the incident in Rodney Avenue, St Albans, at around 8.30am and quickly put out the blaze engu

A FIRE broke out in a greenhouse leaving flames leaping up the side of the adjoining house this morning (Wednesday).

Two fire crews from St Albans were called to the incident in Rodney Avenue, St Albans, at around 8.30am and quickly put out the blaze engulfing the small greenhouse.

The homeowner had attempted to put out the fire himself but was overcome by smoke and the firefighters gave him oxygen before paramedics arrived to treat him.

Watch commander Trevor Ray explained that a fault in the heater inside the greenhouse, which was under a metre high and about one-and-a-half metres wide, was the cause of the fire. He said the flames were leaping up the side of the adjoining house on their arrival, causing heat and smoke damage to the brick work.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser