Green Guy Fawkes is centrepiece of Harpenden Allotments fireworks fun
A GIANT Guy made from roadside twigs and branches will be burning brightly at a Harpenden allotment society s bonfire night celebrations. Joe Payne, Site Rep for the South Harpenden Allotments Gardens Society, spent two weeks making the Green Guy out of
A GIANT Guy made from roadside twigs and branches will be burning brightly at a Harpenden allotment society's bonfire night celebrations.
Joe Payne, Site Rep for the South Harpenden Allotments Gardens Society, spent two weeks making the Green Guy out of left-over timber from recent hedge-laying work and tree trimming along Dark Lane.
The Guy will be the centre of attention at the society's Guy Fawkes Night celebrations tonight, November 5, when a bonfire will be lit at 5.30pm and potatoes and nuts roasted as the embers die down by about 8pm.
Joe's wife Pauline, who is also a site rep for the allotment society, said that she always looked forward to the annual event: "I like watching the children's faces light up when they're having fun around the bonfire. It's a nice get together and all the members take the opportunity to swop home-produce recipes, such as pumpkin soup and runner bean chutney."
You may also want to watch:
The Guy Fawkes Night celebrations will take place at the Piggotshill allotment site and everyone is welcome to come.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to