Green Guy Fawkes is centrepiece of Harpenden Allotments fireworks fun
A GIANT Guy made from roadside twigs and branches will be burning brightly at a Harpenden allotment society s bonfire night celebrations. Joe Payne, Site Rep for the South Harpenden Allotments Gardens Society, spent two weeks making the Green Guy out of
A GIANT Guy made from roadside twigs and branches will be burning brightly at a Harpenden allotment society's bonfire night celebrations.
Joe Payne, Site Rep for the South Harpenden Allotments Gardens Society, spent two weeks making the Green Guy out of left-over timber from recent hedge-laying work and tree trimming along Dark Lane.
The Guy will be the centre of attention at the society's Guy Fawkes Night celebrations tonight, November 5, when a bonfire will be lit at 5.30pm and potatoes and nuts roasted as the embers die down by about 8pm.
Joe's wife Pauline, who is also a site rep for the allotment society, said that she always looked forward to the annual event: "I like watching the children's faces light up when they're having fun around the bonfire. It's a nice get together and all the members take the opportunity to swop home-produce recipes, such as pumpkin soup and runner bean chutney."
You may also want to watch:
The Guy Fawkes Night celebrations will take place at the Piggotshill allotment site and everyone is welcome to come.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 9 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common