Golfing star backs charity day for Harpenden Mencap
- Credit: Archant
Scottish golf legend Ken Brown sounded the klaxon for a charity day in which thousands of pounds were raised to support local people with learning difficulties.
Harpenden Common Golf Club played host to the 6th Harpenden Mencap Charity Golf Day which raised £6,800 towards building alterations at the charity’s Douglas Road residential property.
Ken, who now works as a broadcaster, is a supporter of Harpenden Mencap and he sounded the klaxon for a shotgun start - a golf tournament format which means all groups of players tee off simultaneously.
The Stableford competition was followed by a meal, a raffle and an auction in the evening.
Anne Hignell, trustee of Harpenden Mencap, said: “We have worked hard to raise the profile of Harpenden Mencap as a local charity helping local people with learning disabilities and our annual golf day has become an important event in our fundraising programme.
You may also want to watch:
“We used the golf day this year to raise funds towards some building alterations to one of our residential properties in Harpenden. Our golfers are very generous and many have returned each year to support our cause and for this we are very grateful but we also welcomed many new golfers.”
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Forging ahead for hospice care
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads